Want to incentivize shopper purchases by offering a free gift with purchase? Read on to learn how to set it up!
"Gift with Purchase" is a popular marketing and promotional tactic that awards shoppers with a free gift if their shopping cart meets certain criteria (i.e., meets a certain dollar subtotal amount). It's a great way to incentivize shoppers to make a purchase, spend more, and/or purchase a specific product.
With CommentSold, retailers can create a Gift with Purchase product that CommentSold will automatically offer in a shopper's cart when the shopper's cart reaches the set minimum value.
- You can only have one active Gift with Purchase product at a time. Creating a new product will automatically deactivate the last active promotion.
- Gift with Purchase available via your website and mobile app (both Android and iOS).
- Shoppers qualify for a gift when they meet a specific subtotal threshold (e.g., Free gift if you spend $50!). This is their total before taxes, shipping, etc.
- Gift card products do not count toward a Gift with Purchase subtotal.
- Gift with Purchase products will not be offered to preauthorized orders.
- Shoppers can use a discount/coupon on an order and still receive a Gift with Purchase if the order meets the subtotal minimum before the shopper applies the discount.
- Shoppers will only see the “Free Gift” offer if there is inventory available for the free gift. If the inventory is held in existing carts, then a new shopper will not see the offer.
- Shoppers with a qualifying cart can hold a claimed Gift with Purchase until checkout, cart expiration, or until you disable the promotion (unless you have First Paid, First Served enabled in your Shop settings.
- If you, as a shop, disable a Gift with Purchase promotion and there are shoppers with that claimed gift in their cart, then the product will revert to its original price. You should encourage shoppers to make their purchase ASAP, before the promotion expires and the product is no longer free.
Create Gift with Purchase Promotion
- Select Promotions in the side menu of your CommentSold dashboard.
- Select Add Promotion on the right side of the page.
- Complete the following fields:
- Title. Enter a title for the promotion (i.e., Free Socks with $75+ order). This is for your reference and will not be seen by customers.
- Cart Subtotal Minimum. Enter the subtotal minimum a shopper must meet to qualify for a free gift with purchase.
- Add Free Gift. Choose the product you wish to offer with the promotion. You can search by product name. Note: Dropshipping products are not available as a free gift.
- Description. Enter a description of the promotion. This is for internal use and only appears in your Promotions listing.
- Select Add Promotion in the bottom-right corner of the page.
Once you save a new Gift with Purchase product, it becomes your “Active” promotion and will automatically disable your previously active promotion.
Activate an Existing Gift with Purchase Promotion
If you need to enable an existing Gift with Purchase promotion, you can do so from the Promotions listing. Remember, you can only have one active promotion enabled at a time.
- Select Promotions in the side menu of your CommentSold dashboard.
- Locate the promotion you wish to activate, then select the three-dot icon to the far right of the promotion row.
- Select Edit from the options listed.
- On the promotion details page, select the Enable Gift toggle in the top-right corner.
- Select Update Promotion in the bottom-right corner of the page.
Activating an existing Gift with Purchase promotion will automatically deactivate the previously active promotion.
What Your Shoppers Experience on the Web
When a shopper makes a qualifying purchase on your website, CommentSold will automatically offer the Gift with Purchase promotion in their shopping cart. Shoppers will need to claim the gift to add it to their cart. They can do so by selecting Claim Free Gift.
When a shopper claims their free gift, they’ll be taken to the product page where they can select their desired variant (if available). They will need to select Add to Cart to add the free gift to their cart.
Gift with Purchase products will appear with a $0.00 value in the shopper’s cart.
If the shopper removes products and drops below the qualifying subtotal, the free gift product will remain in the cart but will now show its standard retail price.
What Your Shoppers Experience on Your Mobile App
The below experience is available for both iOS and Android users who have updated to the latest version of your mobile app (version 3.2). We strongly encourage you to let your shoppers know a new version of your mobile app is available.
- When a shopper makes a qualifying purchase on your mobile app, CommentSold will automatically offer the Gift with Purchase promotion in their shopping cart. Shoppers will need to claim the gift to add it to their cart. They can do so by tapping Claim Free Gift.
- When a shopper claims their free gift, they’ll be prompted to select their desired variant (if available). They will need to slide the Add to Order bar to add the free gift to their cart. If claiming a gift with no variants, the product will automatically be added to their cart.
- Gift with Purchase products will appear as “FREE” in the shopper’s cart.
Got Questions? We Have Answers!
Can shoppers use a coupon and still get the free gift?
- Yes! If a shopper qualifies for a Gift with Purchase and they apply a coupon that takes them below the minimum (e.g., $75), they are still eligible to claim their free gift.
Can a shopper receive a free gift more than once?
- Yes, shoppers can qualify for the same Gift with Purchase promotion more than once if promotion is still active and the shopper meets the subtotal minimum on subsequent orders.
Does the purchase of gift cards qualify for a free gift?
- No, gift card purchases do not qualify for a free gift. If you run a Free gift with a purchase of $75 or more! and a shopper purchases a gift card for $100, they will not receive a free gift. Similarly, if a shopper adds physical products to their cart totaling $60 and then adds a $25 gift card, they will not be eligible for a free gift.
Can I offer a gift card as a free gift?
- You can offer a gift card as a free gift. We strongly recommend you create a new gift card product for the Gift with Purchase promotion that has a single variant (i.e., a single amount–like $5) so you control the gift card amount that shoppers claim.
Does Gift with Purchase work on TikTok purchase?
- Unfortunately not as shoppers place their orders through TikTok’s native checkout. Exercise caution if you go live on TikTok and other channels simultaneously as promoting a “Free gift with purchase on our website and mobile app” could impact your TikTok seller score.
Does Gift with Purchase work with Facebook and Instagram?
- When a customer comments to claim and cart a product from a live sale broadcast or shoppable post, they’ll receive a DM that directs them to your website. There they can cart the product, and if the value of the products they cart meets that minimum subtotal amount, then they will be able to claim their free gift.
Can I use Gift with Purchase if I use Shopify or Square to sync my products to CS?
- Yes, however, you can't choose a product synced from Shopify or Square as the free gift product. You'll need to create a product in CS directly and use that product as your free gift.
- Please note: Customers must checkout via your CS mobile app or your CS website to claim their gift.
What if I don't fulfill my orders in CS?
- As mentioned above, you can't choose a product synced from Shopify or Square as a free gift product. You'll need to create the product in CS and use that product as your free gift. Since CS products won't sync to Shopify, if you fulfill in Shopify, you will need to split any orders containing the free gift and Shopify items. You can then fulfill the free gift in CS and the remaining order in Shopify.