In this article, you'll learn:
- How to create a BOGO coupon code.
- How to create a percentage off coupon code.
- How to create a free shipping coupon code.
- How to create a flat amount discount coupon code.
- How to edit existing coupon codes.
About Coupon Codes
A coupon code, also referred to as a promo code or discount code, are alpha-numeric codes that shoppers can enter during the checkout process to save money on an order. Coupons are also a great way to get shoppers interested in checking out what your shop has to offer.
With CommentSold, you can create a BOGO coupon, a dollar amount discount coupon, a percent off discount coupon, or a free shipping coupon. Coupon codes only apply toward qualifying items and to the subtotal prior to taxes and shipping.
How Coupon Codes Benefit Your Shop
- Incentivize shoppers to make a purchase with your shop.
- Send shoppers and/or inactive customers coupons to encourage them to visit your shop.
- Use coupons to reward shoppers for reaching VIP status or winning contests.
- Offer a coupon in a specific sales channel (e.g., mobile app, webstore, etc.) to drive shopper traffic to that channel.
Create a Coupon Code
- Select Coupons in the side menu of your CommentSold dashboard.
- Select Add Coupon in the top-right corner of the page.
Customize a New Coupon
You'll need to enter the key characteristics of the coupon code so CommentSold can apply the correct discount to the correct set of purchasing conditions. We walk through each field below.
General fields are located on the left side of the page.
- Coupon Channel. Select the channels where shoppers can redeem the coupon. You can select All Channels or a specific channel (e.g., Only App, Only Facebook, etc.).
- Coupon Code Name. Enter the code that shoppers will use to receive the discount at checkout. Names cannot include spaces.
- Coupon Type. Select the desired coupon type from the drop-down list.
- BOGO. Choose which product(s) you want to offer for free or at a discount. CommentSold applies the discount to the least expensive item.
- Buy X Get 1 Discounted. Specify how many items a customer must buy to earn a discounted product in return.
- Discount Amount %. Enter the percentage discount you want to offer. If you want to offer a free item in return, set this to 100%.
- Percentage Off. Enter the desired percent off you wish to offer. Choose which collections shoppers can apply the coupon toward, or exclude collections.
- Flat Amount Off. Enter the desired dollar amount discount you wish to offer. Choose which collections shoppers can apply the coupon toward, or exclude collections.
- Free Shipping. Offer free shipping on an order. Choose which collections shoppers can apply the coupon toward, or exclude collections.
- Description. This is for your internal use. The description will appear beside the code in the Coupons tab.
Usage fields are located on the right side of the page.
- Unlimited usage? If selected, the coupon would have an unlimited number of redemptions available. If you would like to place a limit on the number of redemptions (e.g., The first 50 shoppers to complete their checkout get 20% off!), deselect the checkbox and enter the number in the Max Usage field.
- Start and End Date. Enter a start and end date and time in which the coupon is valid (e.g., Use coupon code APPYHOUR during this live sale for free shipping!). If left blank, the coupon will be valid immediately and indefinitely.
- Coupons scheduled for a future date and time will appear Inactive in your main Coupons listing.
- Only used once per customer? Select if you wish for the coupon to be used once per customer.
- Only use for purchase via any channel? Select if you wish for the coupon to only be valid for a customer's first order via any channel (i.e., the mobile app or webstore or Facebook, etc.).
- Coupon for new users only? Select if you wish to offer the coupon to shoppers who have recently registered with your shop. Add an expiration to encourage shoppers to use the coupon (i.e., Your welcome coupon is only valid for 3 days so get shopping!).
- Coupon for VIP users only? Select if you wish to offer VIP shoppers a special discount.
- You will need to enable Highlight VIP Customers in your shop settings and define the VIP Spend Limit for this coupon to work correctly.
- This coupon requires a minimum purchase. Require a minimum purchase subtotal a shopper must meet before they can redeem the coupon.
- Local Pickup Only? Select if you wish to limit this coupon to local pickup shoppers.
Once you have completed all necessary fields, select Add Coupon in the bottom-right corner of the page.
Edit an Existing Coupon
To edit an existing coupon, navigate to your Coupons page and select the three dots to the far-right of the coupon row. Select Edit from the drop-down.
If you wish to make changes to a coupon, you will need to confirm it is active first. In the above image, the first two codes are currently active as no start or expiration date was entered when we created them. The third code (BOGO40) is inactive, as the start date is set in the future. Expired codes will also show as Inactive.
- Run a Coupons Report. Learn how to run a report to view coupon usage and performance.