In this article, you'll learn:
- How to connect your POS hardware.
- How to create a new sale in CommentSold POS.
- How to process payment via CommentSold POS.
About CommentSold’s POS
CommentSold’s Point-of-Sale (POS) system offers retailers a unified solution for front-end purchasing. Whether retailers have a brick-and-mortar storefront, host pop-ups, or take their business on the road, CommentSold’s POS is a must-have for simplifying the purchase and fulfillment process.
When you process an order through your POS, it appears in your CommentSold dashboard as an order fulfilled via local pickup. Inventory automatically updates as it would with purchases made through your mobile app and a shopper’s account page.
If you offer shoppers loyalty credit, shoppers can earn and redeem credit when placing orders via POS. You’ll need to add POS as a sales channel in your program for shoppers to earn credit. Learn how here.
How CommentSold POS Benefits Your Business
- With a unified backend and POS, you streamline the inventory and fulfillment process—no more connecting multiple solutions to sync inventory and purchase data.
- Create an excellent buying experience that transitions effortlessly between online and in-store.
Before You Get Started
Before you can roll out CommentSold’s POS, you’ll need to complete the following tasks:
- Make sure your business is live with CS Payments. CommentSold POS is only available for retailers using CS Payments.
- Download the POS for CommentSold app on an iPad. If you plan to use multiple iPads as a POS, you’ll need to install the app on each device. You can download the app from the Apple App Store here. You can also scan this QR code:
- Request your card reader. You can request your POS card reader here.
- Purchase a receipt printer. CommentSold POS supports the Star Micronics TSP143III USB and Star Micronics TSP100III Bluetooth receipt printers. We recommend the USB printer as the Bluetooth printer can be difficult to locate.
- Barcode scanner (optional). Easily scan products customers wish to purchase using a barcode scanner. We recommend the Inateck Bluetooth Barcode Scanner.
Set Up Your App
When you log into the CommentSold POS app for the first time, the app will prompt you to grant it location permissions.
You will need to give full permission in order to have your Bluetooth devices (e.g., card reader, receipt printer, and barcode scanner) work. Tap Allow While Using App to grant these permissions.
Connect Your POS Hardware
You can connect your receipt printer, barcode scanner, and card reader on the app's Settings tab. If you use Bluetooth devices, ensure you’ve enabled Bluetooth on your iPad.
- Tap the menu icon in the top-left corner of the app.
- Tap Settings.
- You will need to connect each device individually. See the below steps for setting up each device.
- Ensure your card reader is fully charged.
- Tap Card Reader, then tap Connect.
- Your card reader will require an update the first time you connect it to your CommentSold POS app. This update can take up to 10 minutes. The Setting pages will reload once the update finishes. Learn more about setting up your card reader here.
- Verify that the connection status appears green in the top-right corner—this means the card reader is ready to go.
- Before connecting the printer in the app, ensure you’ve paired it in the Bluetooth section of your iPad Settings.
- In the CommentSold POS app, tap Receipt Printer and tap your printer in the pop-up.
- Use the above barcodes to put the Inateck scanner in iOS pairing mode.
- Open the Settings menu on your iPad and tap Bluetooth.
- Locate the barcode scanner at the bottom of the list. The name should be similar to BCST-1234-HID.
- Tap the scanner name to pair.
- To test your pairing, open the Notes app on your iPad.
- Scan a product barcode using your scanner. If text appears in the Notes app, then your scanner is connected and ready to scan.
Create a New Order
When a customer is ready to check out with your business, you can ring them up from the Home page.
- Scan the product(s) using your barcode scanner or tap Add Product to search for the product(s) in your product listing.
- If manually selecting a product, select the correct Color and/or Size to ensure inventory accuracy.
- Use the - / + icons to enter the correct Cart Quantity. You can also tap this field and use the iPad keyboard to enter the quantity.
- Tap Add to Cart.
- Once you add a product, you can apply a discount. Tap Add Discount.
- On the following screen, locate and tap the discount you wish to apply.
- Note: CommentSold still verifies coupon criteria (e.g., minimum spend requirement, collection exclusions, etc.) to the current order.
- If you have a discount applied, you can remove the discount by tapping Retract Discount.
- Tap Add Customer to tie the new order to an existing customer account. This ensures the customer earns loyalty credit and makes it easier for your shop to process returns or re-send order receipts.
- Locate and tap the customer record.
- Tap Assign to Cart in the top-right corner.
- If the shopper is a new customer, tap Add Customer then Add New Customer at the top of the screen.
- You only need to enter the first and last name and the customer’s email address to save the new account.
- Tap Order Note to add an internal note (e.g., Customer will pick up order in store tomorrow 8/24) for your team.
- If you need to clear a shopper’s cart at any time, tap Clear Cart at the bottom of the order screen.
- Tap Pay in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap the expand icon to the right of the Cart heading to create a full-screen order summary the shopper can review and confirm.
- Tap your Payment Method.
CommentSold suggests rounded-up amounts a shopper might hand you in cash. Tap any option or the Other Amount field to enter the amount given. Tap Pay to apply cash as payment. CommentSold will calculate and display any necessary change.
Shoppers can swipe, insert, or tap their credit card using the card reader. If necessary, you or they can manually enter the card details.
Shoppers can hold their Apple Pay device to the card reader to have their payment processed.
Linking the order to an existing customer brings in their account credit. Account credit works the same on a POS as in CommentSold: It will apply all available credit to the order. The customer can select an additional payment method to complete the transaction if a balance remains.
If there is enough credit to cover the entire purchase, then CommentSold will do so. Tap Pay to apply the current account balance to the order. If the account credit covers the whole order, then you will close the order via the Cash payment option. Enter $0 and then tap Pay.
Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers
- Do gift cards work with POS? At this time, shops cannot issue gift cards via POS. Similarly, customers are unable to use a gift card from your shop as their payment method. Shoppers can, however, convert their gift card into account credit. They can then use that account credit as their payment option.
- Can a shopper use a pre-paid card (i.e., a $50 VISA gift card)? Shoppers can use a pre-paid card if the amount on the card amount will cover the entire purchase. Otherwise, they will need to use another payment method.
- Can POS process split payments (e.g., half-cash, half-credit card)? Not at this time. The exception here is shoppers who apply their account credit to their purchase and need to pay the remaining balance via cash, credit card, or Apple Pay.
- Is there a way to suspend an order if a customer needs to run to their car for their wallet? Not at this time. If a shopper needs to come back later, you’ll need to re-enter their products at that time.
- Can we process returns on the POS? Not at this time. You can still process in-person but would need to pull up your CommentSold account on either a desktop or mobile device (e.g., Safari on your POS iPad).
- Is there any kind of reporting summary on the POS? We have some really great reporting in the works, but at this time shops will need to view POS reporting in their CommentSold account.