Want to target top shoppers who have purchased a specific brand or size in the past? Send a Klaviyo campaign!
CommentSold makes it easy to identify those customers who have purchased a specific size or brand in the past. Armed with this information, you can use Klaviyo to send a targeted email campaign to those shoppers that teases product drops from a particular brand or incentivizes shoppers to make a purchase (and move some slow-moving inventory).
For example, target your brand enthusiasts. If you have slow-moving inventory from a particular brand or you're about to drop new products for a popular brad, reach out to shoppers who have purchased the brand before and invite them back to shop more. You can also target specific sizes. Have an insane amount of XS or L in your inventory? Run a BOGO promotion and send an email to shoppers who purchase a particular size to help clear that inventory.
An effective purchase history email campaign should include:
- A message that tells shoppers why you're reaching out. Think, We know how much you love denim from BRAND, We've got HOT NEW TOPS from BRAND dropping Friday! Hype the heck out of your campaign even when you know you're goal might be to move slow-selling inventory.
- A discount—especially if you're trying to move inventory. Incentivize you shoppers to make a purchase of a particular brand or size.
- Featured images and links to products included in the campaign. This could be products from a specific brand or products for which you have an excess of specific sizes. This makes it easy for shoppers to jump right to something that catches their eye.
Export Shoppers Based on Purchase History
You can use the Customers By Brand Purchased and Customers By Size Purchased data sets on your Marketing Insights page to export a list of shoppers and their brand and size purchase history.
Please note that the above GIF is from a test store with limited to no data. Your Insights tab will display data.
- Select Insights in the side menu of your CommentSold dashboard.
- Select Marketing from the options listed at the top of the page.
- Ensure you've selected the Yes option for Marketing Emails Opt-In at the top of the tab.
- If you make changes to the Yes/No buttons, make sure to select the blue Refresh arrow in the top-right corner of the tab to refresh your customer list.
- Locate the Customers By Brand Purchased or Customers By Size Purchased data sets at the top of the data tables.
- Select the three-dot icon in the top-right corner of either table.
- Select Download data from the options listed.
Your .CSV file will download to your device.
Prepare Your Customer List
Klaviyo requires that the Email column be the first column in the CSV file that you import. However, your Customers By Brand Purchased and Customers By Size Purchased both contain a first column that numbers customer rows. You'll need to delete this column and re-save your CSV file, then upload it to Klaviyo.
You can delete this column using any spreadsheet software (e.g., Excel, Google Sheets, Numbers, etc.). The below steps walk through this process in Numbers, the default spreadsheet program for Apple.
- Select the Numbered column on the left side of the spreadsheet. It is the first column and does not have a column header (i.e., it doesn't have a header like Email, Name, etc.).
- Once selected, the spreadsheet header bar will appear. You'll see the column is column A.
- Select the A column header. You should see a small drop-down arrow appear on the left side of the header. You may need to stretch the header to see it.
- Select the header drop-down and select Delete Column from the options listed.
- Select File in your Numbers navigation bar at the top of the page, then select Export > CSV.
- Save the file to your device.
Additionally, both your Customers By Brand Purchased or Customers By Size Purchased exports will contain the purchase history of every customer purchase. This means that you'll need to clean up your export list to ensure you're targeting the right customers with you wish to reach.
- Targeting purchasers of a specific brand? Sort the Brand column to group brands together, then delete the rows (either individually or en mass) for those brands that aren't the brand you're targeting.
- Targeting purchasers of a specific size? Sort the Size column to group sizes together, then delete the rows (either individually or en mass) for those sizes that aren't the size you're targeting. Be aware of sizes that might have variations (e.g., Sm versus Small versus S).
Import Customer List into Klaviyo
You'll need to upload your list of customers in Klaviyo so that you can send out an email campaign to those users.
- Select Audience in the side menu of your Klaviyo dashboard, then select List & Segments.
- Select Create List / Segment in the top-right corner of the page.
- Select List.
- Enter a Name for your list, then select Create List.
- Select Upload Contacts.
- Either drag/drop your file into the gray field or select the file from your device.
- Ensure the Email and Name fields are selected, then select Next.
- Select Yes to confirm your list of customers have opted into emails, then select Import.
Create and Design a Klaviyo Campaign
- Select Campaigns in the side menu, then select Create Campaign.
- On the fly-out, enter your Campaign Name and Date.
- Select Email as Type, then select Save and Continue.
- Select your desired list from the Send To drop-down.
- Select Continue to Content.
- Choose whether to use a Themed or Basic Template.
- Which templates do we love? We love the simple layouts of the 1-2 Columns, 1-3 Columns, and 1 Column / Alternating templates on the Basic tab.
- Confirm the template you choose by selecting Use Template.
- Build out your email using the tools provided.
Finished? Once you've designed your campaign, you can choose to send it right away or Schedule it to send on a later date.